Click the post for details on this episode!
Happy Holidays to everyone! Today’s episode is a special New Years edition featuring exclusive sets from Plastic Love residents, Bas & Jimmy Maheras… Not only do these guys have fantastic taste in house music (evidenced by their monthly podcast and epic Avalon parties), they are also all around great dudes…
–More on Plastic Love–
The first hour will be mixed by Bas! Having been musically inclined all his life, Bas started off taking piano lessons that unfortunately never stuck, in high school he picked up the drums and did that through most of college playing in various jazz bands, orchestras, drum lines etc. Bas started DJing in 1999, moved to LA in 2005 and has played all over the city. Avalon, The Vanguard, a couple of one offs and underground parties, even holding a short residency at one of LA’s seminal parties, Basic.
Hooking up with the Droog crew some time after that through Justin Sloe, he’s been in with them ever since. Helping launch the Culprit label 2008, he also assists with the Culprit web promotions, and has since enjoyed being a Culprit resident at the infamous Culprit Sessions both atop The Standard rooftop and tucked away in various Hollywood hot spots. The summer of 2010 has seen Bas start his own brand, Plastic Love, alongside fellow DJ cohort Jimmy Maheras. A way for them to flex their respective DJ muscles, Plastic Love parties and podcast feature guests from around Los Angeles and abroad playing disco, house, techno, acid, and everything in between…
Bas’ Track List:
01) Bicep – Darwin (Retro/Grade Edit)
02) Subb-An – What I Do
03) Storm Queen – Look Right Through (Dub Mix)
04) Cassius – Les Enfants
05) The Crystal Ark – The City Never Sleeps
06) Dr. Dunks – Keep It Cheap
07) Tiger & Woods – Dr. Burner
08) Frank Agrario – Upgrade
09) DJ Kaos – Horny Morning Loop (Dr. Dunks Kaotic Mix)
10) LCD Soundystem – I Can Change (Tiga Mix)
Growing up in NYC, Jimmy developed his love for house and techno at clubs such as Limelight, Twilo, Tunnel, and Sound Factory, however, his most inspiring nights happened at Danny Tenaglia’s Be Yourself party at Vinyl. Danny’s marathon sets and Erick Morillo’s Subliminal parties were his most direct musical influences.
Jimmy began DJing after relocating from New York to Los Angeles in the late 90s. He has played on both coasts in clubs that include Spundae and Basic in Los Angeles as well as Spider Club and Sin Sin in New York. Much like the old school New York DJs he grew up listening to, Jimmy doesn’t limit himself to a single sound. His genre-crossing sets include elements of soulful New York Garage, Detroit Techno, and dark tribal rhythms. Today, he is half of Plastic Love, bringing the solid sounds of underground house to Los Angeles with fellow west coast favorite, Bas. Enjoy!
Jimmy Maheras’ Track List:
01) Azari & III – Reckless With Your Love
02) Akabu – Another World (Andre Lodemann Remix)
03) Space – Deliverance (Justus Kohncke’s Wild Pitch Mix)
04) Hot Natured – Wintertime
05) KINK – Rachel
06) Makam – You Might Lose It (Kerri Chandler Dark Mix)
07) Octave One – The Greater Good (Mix 1)
08) Dennis Ferrer – The Red Room (Objektivity Vocal Mix)
09) Morning Factory – Raw Tunes Vol 1
10) Furry Phreaks – Soothe (Tedd Patterson’s Vibal Mix)